So I went out to radio shack and started on a side-project. An initial video of some kind of weird device I’m building. Better UX (bigger knobs, plastic casing, etc.) is on the way.
An early behind-the-scenes video. The high-power circuitry comes next, and I’m not confident I won’t blow up my board though I’m taking every precaution to protect circuits with sensitive fuses. Time will tell. There isn’t anything here you can’t build out of the box. I’d say a college-student is much better equipped than me – I actually forgot that connecting resistors in parallel reduces overall resistance, and am glad to say the fuses came in handy.
On a related note, Windows Phone just wasted the last hour trying to make the video upload and Zune’s clunky confusing interface, made finding the file location difficult when I managed to copy it with physical thethering. I could go on and on about the entire series of steps I followed (but MSFT folks know me all too well, a factual argument is one they can’t win – I’m sure I’m looking at this from the wrong “lens” or “prism” or whatever.) God damnit, I spent my savings on this project which felt more important than moving to the iPhone ASAP. Glad I got that out of my system. Phew.